Alexandria Opera House

Built in 1918, the opera house’s first owner, Badr El Din Kerdany, hired French architect Georges Baroque to design it. Hosting Arab and international performers in the 1920s, it was renamed to Sayed Darwish Theatre in 1962 to honour the famous Egyptian musician. Added to Egypt’s Heritage List in 2000, it underwent extensive renovations in 2000 with an unveiling taking place in 2004. 

Fun fact

When the opera house first opened, it was named Teatro Mohamed Ali.